Friday, April 15, 2011

tonight is UGA Relay for Life. i am so so excited! its going to be a wonderful night! it always gets a little emotional for me. sometimes i get angry, but moreso just really sad that i never had the chance to meet my grandmother because of this awful disease. she died right before i was born, she knew she probably wouldn't make it to see me and she left me the most beautiful porcelain rapunzel doll. i still treasure it and my dad read me rapunzel every night before bed. i hear so many wonderful stories about her and when i said that i get angry sometimes i think its just that i get frustrated with God for taking her away from me, i never got to experience her joy and missed out on what could've been a great relationship with her. i've had people tell me before that "i remind them so much of margaret" and i want to burst out in tears. she gives me the strength to be out there all night, celebrating and remembering. so tonight i Relay for you grandmaggie.
i also Relay for you Mr. Garrett. one of my dad's best friends from law school who passed away when i was a freshman in high school. he had a daughter in college and a son in elementary school. my heart breaks for them as well as others who have lost their parents too soon. his funeral was the first time i ever really saw my dad cry.

but its not all sad. because of the american cancer society we are celebrating more birthdays! i Relay to celebrate both of my aunts and many friends who have survived cancer. i am so thankful to have them in my life, and if i get tired or out of breath or my feet hurt tonight, i think about how they must've felt everyday fighting cancer.

today WE FIGHT BACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment