Wednesday, April 14, 2010

puppies for sale

this picture was just posted on my sister's facebook wall of her and a friend laying in our front yard three years ago. and in their arms are the most precious little bundles of joy. i wish i could make it bigger so you could see their sweet scrunchie little faces. my junior year in high school, we had nine of these running around our garage/backyard. 5 black, 4 yellow. belle was such a proud mother. we bread her with a very handsome yellow lab named huck, they liked each other a lot! all members of the american kennel club, they made some beautiful little babies. dad thought it would be so neat to film these pups being born, so everyone who bought a puppy also got a tape of them coming into the world... interesting, but totally like my dad. i remember dad waking me up and asking if i wanted to come meet the 8 new members of the family (at this time there were only 8). i wanted to burst into tears i was so ecstatic! belle had been in labor all night, she was exhausted (and still had another waiting to come). puppies are funny little things when they're first born and we couldn't touch them for awhile which was the hardest part. we would sit out there for hours watching them squirm around, they couldn't even open their eyes yet. watching these little ones grow was such a great experience. once they got big enough, we moved them to a kennel in the backyard, talk about poop. all puppies do is eat and poop, and bark, well try to bark at least. but it's so great! everyday after school i would run back to play with them and let them chew on my hands, or crawl all over me in the yard, or just curl up in my lap. each time we sold one a little piece of my heart broke. miss belle was so sad to watch her babies leave her, although i'm sure a little relieved, 9 kids is a lot to handle. the runt, a little black girl, was the last to leave. she was my favorite and i begged dad to let us keep her. she has a great home with one of my dad's client's now, her name is lila and they send us pictures of her, she's grown up to be quite the beautiful young lady. i cannot wait to get a puppy of my own! and then she can have lots of puppies for me to play with. if there's one thing that can make anyone smile, it's a tiny, scrunchie little puppy looking at you straight in the eye and wagging it's tail. they make my heart melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment